Sunday, July 1, 2012

Return

I have returned from Milwaukee. I was able to be there for the last few days of my mother-in-law's life and at the very end. I find I have very little to add to the many things that have been said about the process of dying. Having steeped myself in the Dharma, I found that it was not difficult to recall that "everything that has the nature to arise has the nature to pass away." Not that this makes the missing-her piece any easier, but the dying itself held no horror. Of course, the true test will be when I come to the time of my own death, if I am aware of it.

The rituals that surround death are also fascinating and in some ways a little disturbing. My wife and I have already planned for what should happen after we die and I can assure you that most of the costly parts of the "death care industry" will not be invoked for us. No caskets or preparation of the body, no burial plots (with the associated "opening" and "closing" fees), no grave marker. But many of the rituals have meaning for the living that survive. I found especially moving the hour or so the family spent at the grave site after it had been filled in and covered (we had a reception at the cemetery family center and then went back). I wonder how those who come after me will commemorate that I was here?

Mostly tired now and recovering from the trip and the experience. I will try to speak more about the Dharma and weight loss and all of that in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back. I hope you are doing well, under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete