Sunday, September 11, 2011

If You're New Here

It seems to me that there has been an increase in new readers of this blog (I humbly thank you). Since I have dedicated myself to blogging here every day (later changes to every week), I know it can be a bit intimidating to see all of those posts and wonder where one should even begin. I hope this post might be helpful in making those choices. By the way, I will periodically be updating this page, so you might want to consider coming back from time to time if you don't come to "The Buddha Wasn't A Fat Guy" on a regular basis.

If I were you, I would begin at the beginning and read the first, second, and third posts. This will give you an idea of what I'm up to here. Reading The Source will further that understanding. After that, if you read A Summary, you will have a good grasp of where I am coming from; this post also contains helpful links that will illuminate what I am trying to say. I eventually came to the realization that weight loss wasn't the real focus (or at least the only focus) of the blog, so made some changes you might want to read about.

If you are not familiar with meditation and especially if you have tried it and think you can't do it, I strongly encourage you to read both Meditation and Meditation, Too.

Because they are so central both to Buddhist philosophy and to the approach to eating I am advocating here, I would suggest you read both The Four Noble Truths and The Fourth Noble Truth. I wrote a series of posts on the Eightfold Path (which comprises the Fourth Noble Truth). The first of those is here and there is a link to each subsequent entry. It is also worth considering the three characteristics of life as detailed by the Buddha, impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and non-self.

I think the post Freedom is both amusing and informative. Because it is something we all feel, Anger is also a post well worth reading. Karma I and Karma II are helpful.

The Finger and the Moon is a good reminder.

Other than that, heck, just dive in anywhere. Though there is some accumulation of knowledge assumed as I go on, I try to remember to put a link back to older posts if I refer to a piece of information contained elsewhere.

And, thanks for reading.

Reid

1 comment:

  1. Reid,

    I can't wait to check out your blog. Spent the entire day writing and editing. I'm exhausted. Hope to check it out tomorrow. It's 7:27pm in Charlotte. A three mile jog, a shower, and hopefully a good movie awaits. I hear the Marigold Hotel is excellent. BTW, Buddism and Hinduism are the only religious systems/philosophies that make sense to me. No less a thinker than Carl Sagan noted they were most in touch with the world of science.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete