Sunday, June 17, 2012

She, dying

She is dying of a brain tumor and decided this week to throw in the towel; not in defeat (she is the reigning champion) but exhausted and realistic. She will be (has been) written up in medical journals for the twists and turns her disease has taken. Small comfort, if any. She never could do things the simple way.

When I heard from her about hospice, end-of-life care, all that, I wrote, "Funny, what wells up in me immediately upon reading this is that though I have acclimated myself fairly thoroughly to the process of your dying, there was one synapse that never closed: at the end of the process you will be dead. I had not gotten there yet, apparently." To which she replied, "There is that. And the universe of love I will leave you with. Don't break it. Don't lose it. And please share."

She was a dancer. Still is, but when we met she was all grace and poise and fluid motion. She is sharp of wit and tongue. She praises with the extravagance with which she damns. We have known each other more than 35 years. I was in love with her once and still love her deeply. We have not always been the best of friends (life and distance intruded, my own illness, my divorce, my anger and low self-esteem; now it all seems sordid and vain, silly, even, but felt like life and death at the time), but have never been less than true loves for all that.

Our children grew up far apart yet became close friends.

In truth, this feels like the end of her and not the beginning of some grand, new adventure. I love the idea of karma, of rebirth and grace, heaven even, more than I have faith in a hereafter. I have said for some time that I don't not believe in anything: ghosts, UFOs, fairies, elves, time travel, yeti, well-intentioned Republicans, Nessie, an afterlife, an end to war, the perfectability of a human life—I have seen precious little evidence of any of these, yet who am I to pass final judgment on things of which so many are convinced? After all, I believe in quarks, though those who have seen one are far outnumbered by those who have seen Bigfoot. But wishful thinking will not do when I think of her, think of her dying, think of her dead.

Did I mention she was a dancer?

Life when we met was thrilling and new, an adventure waiting to happen, pregnant with the possibility of glory, fame and fulfillment. We were vain and thrilled, the way only twenty-somethings can be, before reality and disappointment, then achievement of different joys and ultimate contentment took the place of our exuberance. We were young, attractive, restless, cocksure, judgmental, a little bit ruthless, and free.

Had we known about the future, about the child who died, my alcoholism, mortgages, jail, ailing parents, distances, struggles to survive and thrive, what would we have done? Laughed, no doubt. Said, "bring it on!" There was and is a fierceness in our hearts that dares the world to challenge us in ways we can't handle. It has done its best to do its worst and we are still standing.

And dancing.





2 comments:

  1. My eyes needed a good bath this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may only have met once, or perhaps not even that, though it feels like it every since we first folded cranes for her almost 20 years ago when this surreal, impossible to believe (Even though we have lived it) process started for her. But we share one of our most beloveds in life, in her. And because she loves you, so do I.
    She sent me this link to read(and suggested I prepare with tissues). I think you need not worry about her response.
    One thing: I was with her Wednesday night and she said ,in that matter-of-fact, disarming way she has, in the middle of a sentence, "I am dying, so...". When she reached the end of her sentence, I submitted, "Well - this thing is closer to taking you than it has ever been- this is true. But (as a Buddhist friend of mine reminded me) you are alive. You are here, NOW. And as long as you are, for me, you are not dying."
    Not denial - but embracing her while she is here. Celebrating and cherishing the precious.
    We just keep dancing with her, near or far, as long as we can.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful and true words.
    She was right - as she always is. Off to find a tissue.
    Much love in your tough times these days.
    -Martha

    ReplyDelete