Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sundays


Finally we have a weekend in Seattle that feels like summer. It's a beautiful day, and yesterday was too. I feel blessed.

Sundays are always a little tricky when I am trying to adhere to my regimen (by the way, you will note that I never call this a "diet". I will write more about that later). There are two reasons for this. First of all, after Kathy and I went to Paris last year we agreed that we really enjoyed cooking and eating together and decided we would set aside Sunday dinners for this. So we plan, cook, and eat a meal together, but it is usually something a bit too complex for me to figure the calories. For instance, today I am cooking risotto (Kathy is at a meditation retreat all day), with something like 20 ingredients. Way too much work.

The other reason is because I like to use Sunday as a psychological as well as a physical day of rest. I think we all need this as we gear up for the return to a working world. But how can I take a break from the rigidity of my nutritional plan and avoid self-indulgence? My answer is to use Sundays as a different way of looking at eating, not so structured but even more self-aware. Because I don't use the restraint of a calorie count, I have the opportunity to use this day to examine more closely my motives for making the food choices I make. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment