Saturday, September 17, 2011

Swifts

Today my son gets married. I am not going to wax poetic here, but I am very happy for him, for his fiancee, and for us. It is a very good match, I think, and I wish them all the best. I will no doubt write more about the wedding tomorrow.

Last night we went to watch the Portland swifts as they make their way into their roosting spot inside the chimney of a nearby school. They are actually called Vaux's swifts and every September they make this chimney their resting place at night. Thousands of birds gather into a huge cloud of birds, make themselves into a funnel, then pour into the chimney. It is an amazing sight. Here's a video of them (you might want to turn your sound off; the photographer has chosen to set them to music).

No comments:

Post a Comment