Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A change

My friend Lindsay just had her baby and seeing his picture entirely changed the direction my thoughts and feelings had been going. Isn't it fascinating how that happens?
***********************************************************************
One of the great things about retreat is how it clarifies priorities. I have rarely asked in meditation for the answer to a particular question; I don't think that's what it's for. Nonetheless, I often receive them unbidden.
In just that way it became clear to me that I need to slow down on the blogging a bit. Not that I regret for a moment those first 90 days or so of intensity. That time allowed me to get a great many of my thoughts out there that had been knocking around in my head for quite a while. But I have decided that I need to change to weekly rather than daily posting. A few notes on the change:
  • I would like to take more time to compose my posts. Though the writing exercise of a commitment to put something up every day is exhilarating and constructive, I want to be a bit more meticulous in how I write them. I would also like to have the time to do further study on the topics I address. As I hope I have made clear, my ideas have always been based in dharma study, but there is much, much more study left to be done. I have already covered the simplest concepts of the dharma and in order to avoid being misleading, I must do due diligence before I write further. 
  • I will post weekly, at least, probably on the weekend. I will post more often as topics arise I feel compelled to share. I will finish Jacob's Children, but will not use my weekly posts to do it. I am enjoying the writing of it and also think it's a vital part of the blog, especially considering where it's going (which, of course, I know and you don't). Still, I am choosing to complete it during the week rather than as part of the main weekly post.
  • I am getting the impression that several of you are having a hard time keeping up with a daily blog. It is a lot of words to read, I know. In fact, another of my motivations is to catch up on other blogs I am reading (sorry, Mr. Greenwald, I will need to skim a bit!) Hopefully, you can catch up with me, if that is your desire.
  • Finally, it really is a bit time-consuming and I would like to have more time for other things, like being with my lovely wife. Yeah, I think I'll do that. Oh, and maybe I can spend some time with Lindsay's baby. That would be nice.
(No, that's not him. I just felt like putting up a cute baby picture. Hers is even cuter, though).

1 comment:

  1. Well, all right then. I will miss the daily posts showing up in my Google Reader, but writing like this should be fun, not a burden. I look forward to the next chapter of Jacob's Children.

    ReplyDelete